Friday, April 30, 2010

We, the puppet; Corruption, the puppeteer

This is one thing that frustrates me to the core of my brain. I have always had a natural inclination towards truth, honesty and transparency. I feel comfortable in an environment governed by the previously mentioned words. But as I crawl more and more into the real world, I feel, I just can’t avoid a confrontation with this elite habit of our co-citizens.

2 days back: A hawaldar came to my house with the purpose of my identity/character verification. The ‘holy’ paper came from my alma mater which I had filled during the registration of my 4th year, II semester (31st Dec, 2008). I had every possible document to prove my identity: Passport, Driving License, IIT’s ID, Board Exams documents etc but, dear kaustuv, it wasn’t enough. In fact they were not at all required. There was a complete 100 seconds of silence while he examined my photographs, documents and my biological face. I thought he was trying to match those photographs but ‘dear kaustuv’ was again wrong. Then with conspicuous impatience, his statement arrived, “ humare khusi k liye kucho soche hain? Thana mein log intezaar kar rahe hain. Aas laga ke baithe hain ki berifikesun ka kaagaz aaya hai. Aaj kuch zaroor milega”.

The paper had nil significance as far as my Roorkee tenure is concerned. I doubt whether the paper had even a slightest probability of affecting my IIT Degree. My mood got instantly mercurier and I almost had decided to show him ..I. Then suddenly my eyes zipped through the text of the ‘paper’. It was written that the Inspector of police has to verify whether I have any criminal record or not. That statement combined with his attitude made me a puppet of my drawing room arena. Meanwhile he shot his next statement: “ aap kahe chinta kar rahe hain, saraa kagaj ka kaam hum kar denge. Aapko kucho na karna padega. Kya soch rahe hian”. When I informed him that this paper has come after an year n half and I am already a passed out now in order to convince him that its irrelevant to me, he felt the threads of his pocket getting loose. Then came the sweet threatening, “Agar koi kuch ulta pulta likh diya to gadbad na ho jayega”. Feeling ashamed to text but I gave up.

He rejected Rs 200 as if it has hurt his soul. “500 k neeche kaise kaam chalega. Munsi ko dena hai, register karne wale ko dena hai, gavah banane wale ko dena hai, itne mein to mera bhi nahi hoga”.

People and even I used to say that those who pay bribes or support it in any way are equally to be blamed. But where do I stand in this scenario. The situation is so bloody out of control that those glorious bastards would put you in such an impasse that you’ll succumb to their cocoon. More hurting than 500 bucks, he took away my personal stand and gave a sarcastic smile to my frustrated puppet face.

I am still feeling the heat inside while writing all these. Just wondering how these can be curbed; how can the sensible ones contribute; how can you, after reading this blog, contribute; Just wondering…

6 comments:

  1. happens..
    hav ny gr8 plan to curb it..??

    ReplyDelete
  2. He listed 40 possible ways in which corrupt employees could cheat and considered that it was not easy to detect cheating. He [p. 281] stated, "Just as it is impossible to know when a fish moving in water is drinking it, so it is impossible to find out when government servants in charge of undertakings misappropriate money [2.9]." He [p. 283] continued, "It is possible to know even the path of birds flying in the sky but not the ways of government servants who hide their (dishonest) income." Kautilya's primary goal was to minimize the scope of such eventualities.

    Kautilya admitted that some degree of corruption would always exist, and cannot be
    scrutinized perfectly, ‘It is possible to mark the movements of birds flying high up in
    the sky; but not so is it possible to ascertain the movement of government servants
    of hidden purpose.’ He therefore recommends strictest punishment, both material
    and corporal, as a disincentive to cheat.




    my advice....
    don get frustrated... try to understand it. don feel it. i mean don think like .. u gotta pay bribes or take or any such thing. look at it like a show and judge or decide wat to do. can't understand the whole thing when u r a part of it. all d best

    ReplyDelete
  3. u hv aptly described the rotten system..it is really very frustrating..n depressing too..

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ naren:: i can understand... but if you read Narayan Murthy's 'A better India, A better World', you will actually see that the solution is not so difficult... its just about a strict govt. which is impossible in India as the leaders themselves r involved... will keep u posted with relevant stuffs...

    @ vasif:: wait honey... itna asaan hota to koi na koi kar chuka hota... aur kaafi log kar bhi rahe hain... its not easy

    ReplyDelete
  5. dude ppl write books abt things they didnt evn try to practice. i don know narayana murthy but can bet he too might have given bribes and stuf.. so... don quote writers or motivational speakers of today... u only get to hear from the winners ... the real stories and quotes are with the ones who lost the battle.. ;) never mind nothing personal

    ReplyDelete
  6. dear, this happened for me and is happening for many in passport applying and receiving. And laziest people like me become trapped in a situation to bribe but nothing else, killing yourself morally :(

    not in all but in some cases this info may be of some help on Gandhigiri way of treatment for corrupted in the form of Zero - Rupee note.

    http://india.5thpillar.org/ZRN

    ReplyDelete